With its picturesque streets, stunning countryside and lively community, Chipping Norton is a highly sought-after location for homebuyers. However, navigating the local real estate market can be tricky, especially if you’re not familiar with the area.
In this guide, we’re going to share with you everything you need to know to successfully buy a home in Chipping Norton. From the best suburbs to live in to pro tips and tricks, we cover it all.
Why Buy a House in Chipping Norton?
Chipping Norton – a charming town in the Cotswolds that boasts stunning countryside, unique local amenities and exciting attractions. From cultural landmarks to outdoor activities, there is always something to see or do in this bustling town. Some of the areas main attractions are:
- Chipping Norton Theatre: An intimate theater that hosts a variety of live performances, from plays to music and comedy shows.
- Chipping Norton Museum: A small museum showcasing the history and culture of Chipping Norton.
- Market Square: A bustling square with a weekly market, independent shops and cafes.
- Rollright Stones: A prehistoric stone circle located just outside of Chipping Norton.
- Cotswold Distillery: A local distillery that produces a range of spirits, including gin, whisky and vodka.
It’s a wonderful place to live if you love the great outdoors, there are plenty of activities to enjoy, including hiking, golfing and swimming.
- Walks/hikes: There are many scenic walking and hiking routes in and around Chipping Norton, including the Cotswold Way, the Oxfordshire Way and the Wychwood Way.
- Cycling: The Cotswold countryside offers plenty of opportunities for cycling, with quiet country lanes and challenging hills.
- Golf: Chipping Norton has a popular golf course, located just outside the town, offering 18 holes and stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Horse riding: The area around Chipping Norton is home to several equestrian centres and riding schools, offering lessons and guided rides through the countryside.
- Fishing: There are several fishing lakes and rivers in the Chipping Norton area, offering opportunities to catch a variety of fish, including carp, trout and pike.
The Best Suburbs in Chipping Norton
Chipping Norton is a hidden gem in the heart of Oxfordshire, offering a charming and peaceful countryside lifestyle while still being close to all the amenities and conveniences of a larger town. Despite its small size, Chipping Norton is home to several distinct suburbs and neighborhoods, each with its own unique character and charm. A few examples include:
- Churchill: A popular suburb perfect for families, with spacious homes and plenty of green spaces for children to play.
- Glyme Close: A newer development that is ideal for young professionals or couples, offering modern and stylish apartments.
- Enstone Road: A tranquil and leafy suburb that is perfect for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Drummond Road: A picturesque neighborhood with a mix of traditional stone cottages and modern homes.
- Spring Street: A charming and historic neighborhood that is popular with those who appreciate period architecture and quaint country charm.
The Property Market in Chipping Norton
Chipping Norton’s real estate market is indeed a competitive and dynamic one, making it one of the most sought-after locations in Oxfordshire. With an ever-increasing demand for housing, it’s not surprising that properties in the area sell at a rapid pace, with many homes receiving multiple offers in a matter of days.
The market is particularly attractive to first-time buyers and families who are seeking a relaxed and peaceful lifestyle in a beautiful location. However, with the high demand, the cost of homes can be on the higher side, making it a challenging area for those on a tight budget.
If you’re thinking of buying in Chipping Norton, it’s essential to work with an experienced local estate agent. A knowledgeable agent can help navigate the nuances and provide insights into the neighborhoods and suburbs. Additionally, it can save you time and money. Agents advise you on factors such as the right time to buy and what type of properties are best suited for your needs.
With their expertise and industry connections, an agent can give you an edge in the competitive real estate market, and help you secure your dream home in this idyllic location.
Tips and Tricks for Chipping Norton Homebuyers
Buying a home can be complex and sometimes overwhelming.To help make the process smoother and ensure you find the right property for your needs, there are several tips and tricks to keep in mind:
- Search early: As mentioned, homes in Chipping Norton can sell fast, so it’s important to start searching early and be ready to move quickly when you find a property you like.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage: Getting pre-approved for a mortgage can help you narrow down your search to homes that are within your budget, and it can also give you an advantage when making an offer on a property.
- Be flexible: If you’re set on a particular neighbourhood or type of property, you may find yourself competing with other buyers. Being flexible and open to different options can help you find the right home without getting into a bidding war.
Cost of Living in Chipping Norton?
When it comes to the cost of living, Chipping Norton is known to be on the higher end. Groceries and other basic necessities tend to be a bit more expensive than in other parts of the UK.
However, the city boasts an excellent quality of life, thanks to its abundance of green spaces, great schools and a thriving cultural scene. The benefits of living in this charming town are well worth it!
The Average Cost of Purchasing a House in Chipping Norton
When it comes to housing, the cost can vary depending on the size and type of property you’re looking for. The average cost of a two-bedroom house in the area is around £250,000, while a three-bedroom house can run up to £400,000.
If you’re looking for a more affordable option, apartments and flats in the area tend to range from £150,000 to £250,000.
Affordable Areas to Live in Chipping Norton
Once considered a bustling “working town”, Chipping Norton has seen a recent decline in the number of residents who both live and work in the area. In fact, since 2001, this figure has dropped significantly from 50% to a mere 36%. While property prices in Chipping Norton may be on the higher end, there are still some affordable neighbourhoods to consider.
- Over Norton offers a mix of traditional and modern housing options, as well as easy access to the town centre.
- Village of Salford has a strong sense of community and plenty of green spaces.
- Banbury and Witney also offer more affordable housing options while still providing access to Chipping Norton’s amenities and attractions.
The following surrounding areas also offer affordable alternatives:
- Great Rollright
These areas offer a range of housing options, from apartments to townhouses and detached homes, making them accessible to a variety of budgets.
How Wigwam Can Help with Your Move
Moving can be stressful, but with a little help, it doesn’t have to be.
Say goodbye to the back-breaking hassle of several trips to and from your new home. Our van hire service in Chipping Norton can help make your moving process much easier. Rent a van with us, and find out just how smooth your move can actually be. Moving in Chipping Norton and its surroundings has never been easier.
We also have an onsite packaging store which you can order packaging supplies from to protect your belongings in transit – and in storage, if that’s where some of your belongings are going.
Man and Van Hire
Whether you’re moving your home or office, our reliable and affordable service is here to make your life easier. Say goodbye to back-breaking labour and hello to a stress-free move with our expert team of movers.
Renting a storage unit at Wigwam is simple, and with our Man and Van service, transporting your belongings has never been easier. Trust us to get the job done safely and efficiently.
So there you have it! A complete guide to buying a house in Chipping Norton, UK. Remember, the process may be a bit daunting, but with the right agent, the right mindset and the right cup of tea, you’ll be settling into your new home in no time.
And remember to make your move an enjoyable and stress-free experience with the help of Wigwam Self Storage! Our knowledgeable staff and efficient systems ensure buying a home in Chipping Norton or your surroundings will not only feel simpler but also rewarding and exciting.
Don’t box yourself in, contact our Chipping Norton branch today. We can help you by taking some weight off your shoulders!